Trust No Program

"Firefox is already running but is not responding"

Please post your problem description here

"Firefox is already running but is not responding"

Postby sbfan20001 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:54 pm

* The version number of Sandboxie that you use - 3.74 64 bits
* The version number of Windows that you use - Win7 64 bit
* Specify clear names for any third-party software that are involved. Firefox 15.x

When I click a link in an app outside of Firefox (eg in a cell, database, organizer) I get the following from Firefox:

"Firefox is already running but is not responding" error

I presumed this was a FF error and so I have spent a lot of time trying to resolve it, such as at:

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fir ... responding

This did not help

Then I discovered this error only occurs if FF is running inside Sandboxie.

I am stumped as to what to do.

Please help.
sbfan20001

Re: "Firefox is already running but is not responding&a

Postby Guest10 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:10 pm

sbfan20001 wrote:When I click a link in an app outside of Firefox (eg in a cell, database, organizer) I get the following from Firefox:
Is the app also running sandboxed. If not, is Firefox forced to run sandboxed?
sbfan20001 wrote:I presumed this was a FF error and so I have spent a lot of time trying to resolve it, such as ...
Then I discovered this error only occurs if FF is running inside Sandboxie.
If Firefox is already running unsandboxed at the time, then a sandboxed instance of Firefox can see the "parent.lock" file in the unsandboxed Firefox profile folder and know that the profile is already being used. So, are you running 2 instances of Firefox?
Did you Delete Contents of the sandbox?
Paul
XP Pro SP3 (Admin), Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, Malwarebytes Pro, Firefox 34, Thunderbird 31.
Sandboxie user since March 2007.
Guest10

Postby sbfan20001 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:34 am

Hi, thank you for your quick response.

Is the app also running sandboxed. If not, is Firefox forced to run sandboxed?

The app is not running sandboxed.
Firefox is not forced to run sandboxed. I believe this is an option in the paid version. I have the free version. I run FF sandboxed by clicking on the icon that Sandboxie creates to run the default browser sandbaxed.

If Firefox is already running unsandboxed at the time, then a sandboxed instance of Firefox can see the "parent.lock" file in the unsandboxed Firefox profile folder and know that the profile is already being used. So, are you running 2 instances of Firefox?
Did you Delete Contents of the sandbox?

Firefox is not running unsandboxed - I always run FF sandboxed.
I am not running 2 instances of Firefox.
I can delete the Contents of the sandbox.

Also, what I have noticed is that if I change the default box settings under Default box > Sandbox settings > Applications > Web browser > Firefox and change some of the exclusions, the issue changes from:
when I click a link in another app,
to:
The link is not opened in the sanboxed FF (where there is already a sandboxed FF instance running), but instead, in addition to the sandboxed FF, a non-sandboxed FF is opened and the link is opened in that

Thank you :-)
sbfan20001

Postby Guest10 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:18 am

sbfan20001 wrote:Also, what I have noticed is that if I change the default box settings under Default box > Sandbox settings > Applications > Web browser > Firefox and change some of the exclusions, the issue changes from:
when I click a link in another app,
to:
The link is not opened in the sanboxed FF (where there is already a sandboxed FF instance running), but instead, in addition to the sandboxed FF, a non-sandboxed FF is opened and the link is opened in that
Then what it sounds like is that you might have (or had) your:
Sandbox Settings > Applications > Web Browser > Firefox
set to allow 'direct access to the entire Firefox profile'.

That will allow sandboxed Firefox to save the "parent.lock" file outside of the sandbox, in the Firefox profile folder.
Firefox will then know that an instance of it is already running, using those profile files, and it will refuse to start an unsandboxed instance - giving you the message that Firefox is already running.

Then, in addition, you are likely having the same problem that others have had since the release of Firefox 14 (and continuing with Fx 15).
Namely, that links from unsandboxed programs are not opened in an instance of Firefox that is already running sandboxed.
But, instead, cause a new instance of Firefox to open unsandboxed. Since the "parent.lock" file already exists in the Firefox profile outside of the sandbox, a new instance of Firefox does not open, but gives the 'already running' message.

Can you verify that you were (or are) using the sandbox setting that allowed Firefox to have direct access to the entire Firefox profile?
Switch (instead of that) to the other settings listed there: such as saving bookmarks, cookies, passwords, or whatever items you want to be saved out of the sandbox.

There's a workaround that has been discussed here in the forum, to have links from unsandboxed programs open in an running sandboxed instance of Firefox, but it's not necessarily without unexpected results.
http://sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=13330
You can try that workaround if it sounds like your problem is as I described it above.
Paul
XP Pro SP3 (Admin), Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, Malwarebytes Pro, Firefox 34, Thunderbird 31.
Sandboxie user since March 2007.
Guest10

Thank you!

Postby sbfan20001 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:41 pm

Can you verify that you were (or are) using the sandbox setting that allowed Firefox to have direct access to the entire Firefox profile?
Switch (instead of that) to the other settings listed there: such as saving bookmarks, cookies, passwords, or whatever items you want to be saved out of the sandbox.

Hi, yes, you are correct, I was allowing direct access to the entire Firefox profile.
I have changed to the settings you suggest.

http://sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=13330
You can try that workaround if it sounds like your problem is as I described it above.

This fixes the issue!!

Thank you very much for taking so much of your time and sharing your knowledge to help me out!
sbfan20001

Return to Problem Reports