Trust No Program

Firefox 14.0.1. opens shortcuts in new window outside SB

Please post your problem description here

Firefox 14.0.1. opens shortcuts in new window outside SB

Postby LuckyDuke » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:21 pm

Hello,

I am using Sandboxie 3.72 under Windows XP. Today I updated to new Firefox 14.0.1.
If I am running Firefox in my default sandbox and open an internet shortcut, located on my desktop for example, it is not opened in a new tab inside the sandboxed firefox anymore like in the past. Instead it opens a new instance of Firefox outside the sandbox.

Does anyone have same problem and does anyone have a solution how to change to previous behaviour?

Thanks! :?:
LuckyDuke

Postby Guest10 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:23 pm

I've been using a workaround for some time now, so I can't say that this is a new problem.
Based on a post by forum member "Mike", I added a setting to one of my Firefox sandboxes, long ago:
OpenWinClass=firefox.exe,FirefoxMessageWindow

Sandbox Settings > Resource Access > Window Access
"Add Program" button: firefox.exe
"Add" button: FirefoxMessageWindow

That seems to allow Desktop Internet shortcuts to open a tab in the sandboxed Firefox instance that's running, as long as the instance of Firefox that's running is the one that uses the sandbox containing the above setting.
In the case of sandboxed Thunderbird opening a tab in a running sandboxed instance of Firefox, I also added the exact same setting (listing "firefox.exe") to my Thunderbird sandbox settings, and sandboxed Thunderbird opens a tab in sandboxed Firefox.
The setting in my Thunderbird sandbox lists "firefox.exe" in it because Firefox is set as my default browser, and is the program that Thunderbird will try to use to open the link.

Be advised that I can't recommend using the setting for more than one Firefox sandbox, though.
I can't remember exactly what happened at the time, but I do remember getting unexpected results.

Read the thread with Mike's workaround, here:
http://sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10378

P.S. I do not have Firefox forced to run in a particular sandbox, as Mike suggested in his post, and I do run simultaneous instances of Firefox, each one using it's own sandbox and Firefox profile.
So that may be why I remember getting some unexpected results if I added the above setting to more than one Firefox sandbox, along with using it in my Thunderbird sandbox settings.
Paul
XP Pro SP3 (Admin), Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, Malwarebytes Pro, Firefox 32, Thunderbird 31.
Sandboxie user since March 2007.
Guest10

Postby LuckyDuke » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:29 am

Guest10 wrote:I've been using a workaround for some time now, so I can't say that this is a new problem.
Based on a post by forum member "Mike", I added a setting to one of my Firefox sandboxes, long ago:
OpenWinClass=firefox.exe,FirefoxMessageWindow

Sandbox Settings > Resource Access > Window Access
"Add Program" button: firefox.exe
"Add" button: FirefoxMessageWindow

Thanks Guest 10! This really solved my problem :) :) :)
LuckyDuke

Re: Firefox 14.0.1. opens shortcuts in new window outside SB

Postby Montmorency » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:49 pm

LuckyDuke wrote:Hello,
Does anyone have same problem and does anyone have a solution how to change to previous behaviour?

I have exactly the same problem. And, like you, it started with FF 14.
The setting OpenWinClass=firefox.exe,FirefoxMessageWindow is already in my configuration file.
I tried to add the settings in Window Access but after I click my way out they will disappear; I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

EDIT Stupid myself. Now I understand that Window Access changes will show in the configuration file.
Montmorency

Somethings changed when clicking on links - V3.81.03

Postby kerflot » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:48 am

Can't post to Beta page - probably a very good reason for that.

Something has change in version 3.81.03, if I had sandboxed Firefox open in the background and clicked on a URL link in an email in Thunderbird, that link would open in the Sandboxed Firefox window.
It no longer does that, now what happens is a new un-sanboxed Firefox window opens.

Anybody else notice this?

I have never had Firefox set up in Sandboxie "Force Firefox to run in this sandbox" though I'm sure that it would solve my problem temporarily.
kerflot

Postby nanana1 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:30 am

This has already been discussed a few days ago here.

http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=13330
nanana1, a paid lifetime license Sandboxie user
nanana1

Postby kerflot » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:00 am

Thanks for that. Followed the suggestions mentioned and it seems to have done the trick.
kerflot

Postby tzuk » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:16 pm

I need to finish a couple of things but I will try to look into this soon.
tzuk
tzuk
Site Admin

Postby Guest10 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:05 pm

Montmorency wrote:I tried to add the settings in Window Access but after I click my way out they will disappear; I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
What you are not doing is selecting "firefox.exe" from the box that says "The list below applies to", when you go back to look at the setting that you previously added for Firefox.
Paul
XP Pro SP3 (Admin), Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, Malwarebytes Pro, Firefox 32, Thunderbird 31.
Sandboxie user since March 2007.
Guest10

Postby Alan Baxter » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:56 pm

I had the same problem. I made the changes with the GUI that Guest10 suggested and then restarted Firefox 14.0.1 and my email program, Forte Agent. Problem fixed. Thanks.
Alan Baxter

Postby Montmorency » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:20 pm

Guest10 wrote:What you are not doing is selecting "firefox.exe" from the box that says "The list below applies to", when you go back to look at the setting that you previously added for Firefox.

Thanks.
Montmorency

Postby Nexus6 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:22 pm

The issue here is why did this function work flawlessly prior Firefox v14.0.1 and now it does not work. Band-aid/workaround is just that, it is not a solution.

Tzuk, I appreciate your dedicated attention into this matter. Thank you very much.
Nexus6

Postby tzuk » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:25 pm

I don't intend for this workaround to be a long term solution. But I have to finish something else first, which could take me a few more days or a week.
tzuk
tzuk
Site Admin

Postby tzuk » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:08 pm

I believe this link discusses the related change in Firefox:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=491947

Before version 14, Firefox used a mechanism called DDE to send links to an open instance of itself.
Sandboxie includes support for this kind of one-way DDE communication, specifically to support that use case, which has now stopped working.

It stopped working because Firefox 14 no longer uses DDE, as described in that Firefox bugzilla page.

I have to take back my earlier post and say that there is nothing I can do about this in Sandboxie and that some kind of workaround will have to be the long term solution.

Guest10's solution works well, but I can't add it as a default in Sandboxie because it means that if you have an open Firefox outside the sandbox and you run Firefox in the sandbox, then a new window (or tab) opens in Firefox outside the sandbox, and nothing runs in the sandbox. I feel this kind of behavior is too confusing to offer as part of Sandboxie.

It might be possible to restore the old functionality in Firefox 14. The bugzilla page says something about Firefox 14 trying to remove all DDE functionality, but the following still seems to work for me. Download the following .reg file to your desktop (outside the sandbox), then double-click it, and confirm entering it into the registry.

http://www.sandboxie.com/contrib/Firefox14_DDE.reg
tzuk
tzuk
Site Admin

Postby Blues » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:55 pm

Tzuk, I don't know if the download you provided is meant to help in the following instance but I downloaded and installed and found that it did not rectify the situation I will describe below.

I have a sandbox which is patterned on the default sandbox which opens a very restricted firefox session for more secure browsing.

I had noticed recently when using that sandbox with a password manager which opens the requested web page (and afterward sends "log-in" info to the open window) that it had been opening a new session of firefox in the default sandbox and opening the requested page there.

Previously, it would properly open the requested page as a tab within the "secure" sandbox as opposed to opening a new firefox session in the default sandbox.

The download you provided (above) does not fix this situation and the password manager continues to open the requested page in the default box.

(If I run the password manager with only the "default" sandbox session of firefox open, it properly loads each requested web page as a new tab.)

If you can think of a solution to this issue it would be appreciated.

By the way, is there any reason to now undo the changes made via the download you supplied? Can you provide steps to do so if you feel it should be done?

Thanks in advance.

(I am running XP Pro SP3.)

EDIT TO ADD:

The password manager is running outside the sandbox (and always has been). I have never run the app within either the default or "secure" sandbox and (in fact) have always had its folder blocked from access by any program running within the sancbox to maintain the security of the program and data.
Blues

Real-Time: Sandboxie (Lifetime), Online Armor Premium, Webroot SecureAnywhere AV

On Demand: Shadow Defender, MBAM Pro, HitmanPro, Drive Snapshot / Macrium Reflect
Blues

Next

Return to Problem Reports