Trust No Program

Firefox auto update

If it doesn't fit elsewhere, it goes here

Firefox auto update

Postby peterw » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:49 pm

I have heard the new versions of Firefox will auto update to latest version, will this work when using Firefox forced to run in its own sandbox ?
Win 7 Ultimate 64, Sandboxie 3.66
peterw

Re: Firefox auto update

Postby Blues » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:53 pm

peterw wrote:I have heard the new versions of Firefox will auto update to latest version, will this work when using Firefox forced to run in its own sandbox ?

Within Firefox go to "Tools" - "Options" - "Advanced" and make selection. (Do it outside of the sandbox so your choice will be preserved...unless you have made exclusions for your Firefox profile.)

I have it alert me to updates but take no action as far as downloading and installing them.
Blues

Real-Time: Sandboxie (Lifetime), Online Armor Premium, Webroot SecureAnywhere AV

On Demand: Shadow Defender, MBAM Pro, HitmanPro, Drive Snapshot / Macrium Reflect
Blues

Postby Pete123 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:29 pm

If I want firefox to be able to update I can just allow direct access to my entire firefox folder right? It will reduce security a bit I know.
Is there anything else that needs to be done in order for FF to update properly? Allow some other folder or registry keys?
Pete123

Postby scottls59901 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:56 am

Pete123 wrote:If I want firefox to be able to update I can just allow direct access to my entire firefox folder right? It will reduce security a bit I know.
Is there anything else that needs to be done in order for FF to update properly? Allow some other folder or registry keys?

I allow direct access to cookies, passwords, but not to AdBlockPlus- I hope that this does not compromise security too much?

BTW- CCleaner just released a new version that is now compatible with FF12-
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
Win 7 Pro (x86, Admin), Kaspersky Internet Security 2013, and no other active anti-malware.
Free on-demand- MBAM (No Pro!). Sandboxie Pro 4.01.08 32-bit.
i5-2500 CPU @ 3.67GHz, WD Raptor sata6 10k rpm HD (WOW!).
scottls59901

Postby Helper » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:07 pm

Pete123 wrote:If I want firefox to be able to update I can just allow direct access to my entire firefox folder right? It will reduce security a bit I know.s?
If you mean the Firefox profile folder, that will not work to update when sandboxed, because it's the Firefox program files that get updated, and not (most of) the profile files.
Allowing direct access to Firefox program files is just asking for danger and should be avoided.
Helper

Postby Pete123 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:41 pm

Helper wrote:
Pete123 wrote:If I want firefox to be able to update I can just allow direct access to my entire firefox folder right? It will reduce security a bit I know.s?
If you mean the Firefox profile folder, that will not work to update when sandboxed, because it's the Firefox program files that get updated, and not (most of) the profile files.
Allowing direct access to Firefox program files is just asking for danger and should be avoided.

Ok, I hear you.

Anyway, Just in case one would like to do that anyway, which files needs to be allowed direct access for it to work?

Thank you.
Pete123

Postby Guest10 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:55 pm

Pete123 wrote:Anyway, Just in case one would like to do that anyway, which files needs to be allowed direct access for it to work?
Since v3.43 Sandboxie has not allowed Firefox or Chrome to be updated when sandboxed, IF the .exe program file is located outside of the sandbox.
If the .exe is located inside of the sandbox, then the program update process will be allowed to work - and update the program inside of the sandbox.
http://sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6892&start=9

I don't know how this is implemented, but it's coded into the Sandboxie program and I doubt that it can be bypassed just by allowing direct access to any folders or registry keys.

[Edit]
I just updated Aurora in it's sandbox, and as nearly as I can tell:
firefox.exe - downloads the update file(s)

The update is installed by all of these:
updater.exe - in the program files folder
maintenanceservice.exe - in the program files folder
helper.exe - in the program files\uninstall folder

All of the above would need to be allowed direct access, if you could get it to work when sandboxed.[/Edit]
Paul
XP Pro SP3 (Admin), Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, Malwarebytes Pro, Firefox 31, Thunderbird 31
Guest10

Return to Anything Else