Trust No Program

Can't get LastPass plugin to autologin / remember password

Please post your problem description here

Postby Guest10 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:29 pm

Check out this old post for LastPass:
http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopi ... 69&start=6
The one listed for Vista uses the same path that Win 7 uses.

It shows where files are stored locally, and the paths match the template for LastPass:
%USERPROFILE%\*\LastPass\*

The second wild card matches anything in the "LastPass" folder.

For example:
OpenFilePath=%Tmpl.Browser%,%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\LastPass\*_lps.act.xml

The * wild card matches 0 or more characters, so the first one in the template matches:
\AppData\LocalLow

I don't know if there's a folder on Vista/Win 7:
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\
but the template would match that too.
In fact, the first wild card matches any path between %USERPROFILE%, and a "LastPass" folder.
Paul
XP Pro SP3 (Admin), Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, Malwarebytes Pro, Firefox 33, Thunderbird 31.
Sandboxie user since March 2007.
Guest10

Postby BUN B » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:28 pm

hi Guest10

I've reinstalled everything from scratch and switched to Firefox 12

Will you be so kind to take a look at my sandboxie.ini config file, and give your security recommendations

Also, official LastPass folder, from theri site it seems to be:

%AppData%\..\LocalLow\LastPass\

Does that fit into Sandboxie LastPass compatibility parameters?

My sandboxie.ini is:
--------------

[GlobalSettings]

Template=LastPass
Template=NOD32
Template=OfficeLicensing
ActivationPrompt=y
ForceDisableSeconds=3
ExperimentalProtection64Bit=y
FileRootPath=H:\Sandbox\%USER%\%SANDBOX%

[DefaultBox]

ConfigLevel=7
AutoRecover=y
Template=Firefox_Force
Template=IExplore_Force
Template=IExplore_Favorites_RecoverFolder
Template=BlockPorts
Template=LingerPrograms
Template=Firefox_Phishing_DirectAccess
Template=AutoRecoverIgnore
RecoverFolder=%Desktop%
BorderColor=#00FFFF,off
DropAdminRights=y
Enabled=y
ClosedFilePath=!<InternetAccess>,InternetAccessDevices
ClosedFilePath=D:\
ClosedFilePath=E:\
ClosedFilePath=F:\
ClosedFilePath=G:
ClosedFilePath=I:\
ClosedFilePath=J:
ClosedFilePath=\Device\Mup\
AutoDelete=y
NeverDelete=n
NotifyInternetAccessDenied=y
BoxNameTitle=n
ProcessGroup=<InternetAccess>,iexplore.exe,firefox.exe

[UserSettings_087C01B4]

SbieCtrl_UserName=mino
SbieCtrl_NextUpdateCheck=865331823574
SbieCtrl_UpdateCheckNotify=y
SbieCtrl_ShowWelcome=n
SbieCtrl_HideWindowNotify=n
SbieCtrl_AutoApplySettings=n
SbieCtrl_SettingChangeNotify=n
SbieCtrl_WindowLeft=224
SbieCtrl_WindowTop=188
SbieCtrl_WindowWidth=660
SbieCtrl_WindowHeight=450
SbieCtrl_ActiveView=40021
SbieCtrl_BoxExpandedView_DefaultBox=y
BUN B

Postby Guest10 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:31 pm

BUN B wrote:... official LastPass folder, from theri site it seems to be:
%AppData%\..\LocalLow\LastPass\
Does that fit into Sandboxie LastPass compatibility parameters?
Yes, that path will match what's listed in Sandboxie's LastPass template.
Sandboxie's template lists:
%USERPROFILE%\*\LastPass\*
which is:
C:\Users\(user)\...\LastPass\*
--
For the path you list:
%AppData%\...\LocalLow\LastPass\

"%AppData%" = C:\Users\(user)\AppData\Roaming"
so this would be:
C:\Users\(user)\AppData\Roaming\..\LocalLow\LastPass\

Using Sandboxie's wild card character to match folders: yes, it does match the template:
C:\Users\(user)\*\LastPass\*
The first wild card in the line is matching all folders in between:
C:\Users\(user)\
and the folder:
LastPass
BUN B wrote:I've reinstalled everything from scratch and switched to Firefox 12
My sandboxie.ini is:
It looks good. Some of the settings appear in the more recent, simplified form now, compared to what they were before.
I guess Firefox is your backup browser, since you don't allow its bookmarks to be saved out of the sandbox.
There are a couple of settings that you might want to add, though you have to add them manually from the Edit Configuration menu.

[DefaultBox]

ProcessLimit1=20
ProcessLimit2=25

I picked 20 and 25 here, because you only use one sandbox.
For most of mine, I use 10 and 15 for these settings,
I usually use separate sandboxes, so I use lower settings for how many processes Sandboxie allows to use the sandbox without slowing down the start of any more.
This setting was developed to keep malware programs from using up memory by spawning new program instances one after the other, and keeping you from being able to gain control and stop it.

You can read about ProcessLimit here:
http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?ProcessLimit1

--
Firefox 12, or Firefox 11?
Paul
XP Pro SP3 (Admin), Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, Malwarebytes Pro, Firefox 33, Thunderbird 31.
Guest10

Postby BUN B » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:55 pm

i can't wrap my head around that sandboxie.ini template points out to %AppData%\...\LocalLow\LastPass\

sandboxie ini tempalte is ( %USERPROFILE%\*\LastPass\* ) and shouldn't maybe there be double wildcard like \*\*\Lastpass\*

userprofile = C:\Users\USERNAME right?
so it should go like this: C:\Users\USERNAME\*\Lastpass\*
that's sandboxie's template

and what LastPass has listed is: %AppData%\...\LocalLow\LastPass\
and that should go like this: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\LastPass

In the LastPass suggested path, between USERNAME folder and Lastpass, there are two folders: AppData and LocalLow.

Sandboxie's tempalte got only 1 wildcard between folder USERNAME and LASTPASS?
That one wild card doesn't include 2 folders indepth right?

Regarding IE9, do you happen to now how to disable that funny Clear Type text that started showing when upgraded from IE8?
I am having difficulties now with LastPass and Firefox, with configuration for LastPass to properly work.
I'd like to disable 3rd party cookies, but I don't knoww if that's the reason I get error "check your connection to server"

Are you maybe using LastPass and firefox?
Or just LastPass?

Wht's your nicnkame, I hate calling you Guest 10.
You've helped me so much!
Thank you, I really mean it

where and how should new lines look?

like this?
---
[DefaultBox]
ProcessLimit1=20
ProcessLimit2=25
ConfigLevel=7
AutoRecover=y
Template=Firefox_Force
Template=IExplore_Force
BUN B

Postby Guest10 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:03 am

BUN B wrote:Sandboxie's tempalte got only 1 wildcard between folder USERNAME and LASTPASS?
That one wild card doesn't include 2 folders indepth right?
No, the * wild card can match 0 or more characters, which means that in this case it will match one, two, or more folders.
If there were no folders in that part of the path, it would just be matching 0 characters.

As an example:
C:\*\Extensions\*
would match, if you wanted it to use it for:
C:\Documents and Settings\(user)\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\
or you could just use:
*\Extensions\*
if you didn't want to limit which drive the "Extensions" folder is on.
This form would match an "Extensions" folder at any path on any drive.

This is a bit advanced, since most people don't typically write their own settings using wild cards:
In the two lines that use the * wild card above, the line has to end with a wild card if you want everything in the final folder to match.
That's because Sandboxie assumes a wild card at the end of each setting, unless there's already a wild card in the line.
Since we want everything in the final folder to match, and there is already a * wild card in the line, we have to add a * at the end.
If you just use Sandbox Settings and don't add your own wild cards, you don't need to know this.
BUN B wrote:Regarding IE9, do you happen to now how to disable that funny Clear Type text that started showing when upgraded from IE8?
Sorry but IE 9, protected mode in IE 8 and 9, are just things that I have read about, since I use XP.
BUN B wrote:I am having difficulties now with LastPass and Firefox, with configuration for LastPass to properly work.Are you maybe using LastPass and firefox? Or just LastPass?
I only installed LastPass temporarily, since I don't use it with Firefox.
BUN B wrote:Wht's your nicnkame, I hate calling you Guest 10.
Sorry, no nickname here.
BUN B wrote:where and how should new lines look?
like this?
---
[DefaultBox]
ProcessLimit1=20
ProcessLimit2=25
That's fine. Anywhere under the [DefaultBox] section.
You didn't need to move the "ProcessGroup=..." line.
Paul
Guest10

Postby BUN B » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:58 am

Oh...I see..
didn't know that about wild card..
thank you much

I did noticed that when you run IE as admin it saves some settings, and when you run it regularly it doesn't (UAC enabled)

firefox is always the same, if I run it normally or As Admin (UAC enabled), right?

I am currently experimenting weather to add iexplore and firefox to internet access or not, so I won't add that line you give yet
BUN B

Postby BUN B » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:59 am

let me ask you one more thing

is there a differance in running firefox 11 in UAC mode or in RUN As Admin?
BUN B

Postby BUN B » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:03 pm

Please conclude one more time

Program in Sandbox No1 Can access the files inside a Sandbox No2? Or not?

What are the bennefits of running different programs in different sandbox?

Guest 10, how many sandboxes have you got, and why have you set them up that way?

Take care
BUN B

Postby Guest10 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:36 pm

BUN B wrote:Program in Sandbox No1 Can access the files inside a Sandbox No2? Or not?
Yes, if they even know to look there. Or, you could use the Blocked Access setting in a sandbox if you don't want it to read files in a different sandbox. But you can't block the reading of files in all other sandboxes, with just one setting as far as I know. You would have to specify each of the other sandboxes in a Closed Path setting. And it's unlikely to be needed.
BUN B wrote:What are the bennefits of running different programs in different sandbox?
Deleting contents of a sandbox without disturbing any other sandboxed program that is running.
Setting up restrictions that will apply to all programs that use that sandbox, such as blocking the Documents folder, without having to specify which individual programs are affected.
If you want a particular sandbox to use a different drive.
Use secure deletion for one or more sandboxes, but not for others (for faster deletes).
Allowing a program like Firefox to save things out of one sandbox, but not out of a different one.
BUN B wrote:Guest 10, how many sandboxes have you got, and why have you set them up that way?
Currently, I'm down to 16.
2 - Used for testing programs: 1- completely default sandbox settings; 1- for use with Buster Sandbox Analyzer (BSA) program
3 - For Firefox: 1- general Internet use; 1- banking; 1- on TrueCrypt volume, for occasional use (each with its own Firefox profile)
1 - Email
7 - Programs installed inside - temporary or semi-permanent installs
1 - Uses my most-used settings: used only as a base for creating new sandboxes based on these settings
1 - Used for video programs that are forced, if the video file to be viewed isn't already inside of a sandbox
1 - Used on rare occasions for IE (DefaultBox)
Paul
Guest10

Postby BUN B » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:51 pm

great post, thank you

let me ask you, firefox doesn't have an issue when you run it in non admin mode, and make change, that it doesn't remember, and you have to run it in ADMIN mode for it to remember, (the procedure that's needed for IE)?
please elaborate

thank you, I did tried all of your plugins for firefox, and I like the most Ad Block Plus, No Script and Ad Block Plus Element Helper.
I think that those are really good plugins.

Also, what's the risk of installing a plugin for firefox that's got unverified author but the plugin is on mozilla's page?
Does being on mozilla page guarantees that they have verified the code that it's not malicious?

Also, when I install plugin, and then remove it afterwords, is 100% what has been installed really removed?

Thank you so much once more!

p.s. Now, it seems that firefox is running as smooth as possible, in sandboxie together with LastPass.
It must have been something on the LastPass server side.
BUN B

Postby Guest10 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:04 pm

BUN B wrote:let me ask you, firefox doesn't have an issue when you run it in non admin mode, and make change, that it doesn't remember, and you have to run it in ADMIN mode for it to remember, (the procedure that's needed for IE)?
I really can't comment on using admin vs user log ins. I've always run as an administrator and never had to worry about elevating my privileges in order to install a program, for example, or make some changes.
BUN B wrote:I think that those are really good plugins.
Technically, they're extensions, which are different from plug-ins. And as listed, I only use No Script in my banking profile because it is so unforgiving of javascripts during general Internet surfing. Too many times I had to give permission for scripts to run at sites, or always allow them to run at specific sites.
Now I just use it when I visit my credit card/bank/shopping sites, by using it only in that Firefox profile.
Plus, I have Sandboxie and it's settings; a software firewall; a memory resident A/V program; and my wired router to protect me.
BUN B wrote:Also, what's the risk of installing a plugin for firefox that's got unverified author but the plugin is on mozilla's page? Does being on mozilla page guarantees that they have verified the code that it's not malicious?
It's not guaranteed to be safe, but it's much better to get an extension there than elsewhere.
Very occasionally Mozilla will block an extension that has shown itself to be a serious problem, and the phishing template for Firefox allows that information (blocklist.xml) out of the sandbox so that the extension gets blocked even when unsandboxed.
BUN B wrote:Also, when I install plugin, and then remove it afterwords, is 100% what has been installed really removed?
One place that continues to hold settings for many extensions is in the Firefox "prefs.js" file.
If you uninstall an extension it may have used that file for it's settings, and probably will not remove them from the file when it's uninstalled. I always let that file be saved out of the sandbox, regardless.
Paul
Guest10

Postby BUN B » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:38 am

so you don't bather to clean up 100% after, right?

you know what would have be a great feature of sandboxie, some way for me let's say, which I have only 1 sandbox, to create a new sandbox with identical settings and then change a few parametars

If I am not mistaken, upon creating new sandbox, it gets all the default values, so it's either editing sandbox.ini or that feature that is missing
how do you deal with that?

i have some kind of aversion temparing too much with .ini file
greetz
BUN B

Postby Guest10 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:37 pm

BUN B wrote:so you don't bather to clean up 100% after, right?
Not with "prefs.js", I don't.
BUN B wrote:If I am not mistaken, upon creating new sandbox, it gets all the default values, so it's either editing sandbox.ini or that feature that is missing
how do you deal with that?
From what you describe, that feature is not missing. Although you would need to create another sandbox to use as a base for creating new sandboxes.
From my previous post:
"1 - Uses my most-used settings: used only as a base for creating new sandboxes based on these settings"
Sandbox > Create New Sandbox
allows you to create a new sandbox and copy the settings from an existing sandbox.

So you create a sandbox and customize it with some of your most used settings, and just keep it to use as a base.
I call mine "SavedBox", and don't actually use it for running any programs.
It has settings for a border color; box name in the title; no Firefox phishing template, since I already have my Fx sandboxes; only my own Recover Folder setting; and some Process Limit settings. After creating a new sandbox, then you can add any additional settings such as auto-delete, or never delete, etc.

You can still create a new sandbox with completely default settings.
Paul
Guest10

Postby peterw » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Just been reading this very informative post, thanks Guest 10

I have a question i have more than one sandbox so do i have to add

ProcessLimit1=20
ProcessLimit2=25

to each of them or just to the default box ?
Win 7 Ultimate 64, Sandboxie 3.66
peterw

Postby Guest10 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:28 pm

peterw wrote:I have a question i have more than one sandbox so do i have to add
ProcessLimit1=20
ProcessLimit2=25
to each of them or just to the default box ?
If you're going to use the Process Limit settings, then each sandbox should have it's own set of settings.
It's possible that you could add these settings under the [GlobalSettings] section of the configuration file, and they would apply to all current and all future sandboxes, but I don't recommend it.
Settings that are added under [GlobalSettings] can typically be over-ridden by the settings in an individual sandbox, so you could try adding them there for all sandboxes, and then have different settings specified for an individual sandbox, but I have no way of testing this to see that it works.
[Edit] Maybe I should say that I never really wanted to take the time to test it. It should work[/Edit]

Since I use more than one sandbox, most have:
ProcessLimit1=10
ProcessLimit2=15

but one uses:
ProcessLimit1=5
ProcessLimit2=10

Some programs like to create multiple instances of themselves, like "chrome.exe" when they run, so I use the higher settings there.
But if you have a sandbox that's used for testing purposes, you may want to lower the settings.
Last edited by Guest10 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
Guest10

PreviousNext

Return to Problem Reports