Trust No Program

Cannot print from IE or Firefox while sandboxed

Please post your problem description here

Postby tzuk » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:41 pm

I'm afraid I don't see anything in your Sandboxie.ini file that should cause a problem.

Are you sure you want to go through with a system reinstallation for this? That seems like a lot of trouble to go through.

One possible workaround is to print to an XPS file on the desktop and then switch to the desktop and print the XPS file to the printer. Of course this is a bit of a hassle, but perhaps it is possible to streamline this even more by getting some free PDF printer software.
tzuk
tzuk
Site Admin

Now it's working OK ...

Postby RonC » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:08 am

Some component of HP's 'Full Feature software and driver' v13.1.0 apparently affects printer spooling when receiving a print job from a sandboxed source.

It's difficult to say exactly what, as the software may be installed in different configurations by checking check-boxes, depending upon how many 'bells and whistles' (polite term, after seeing what it does) the user wishes to install. I didn't check everything, but apparently that was one too many.

I suspected the HP software as a possibility based on personal past experience with getting a similar package to run in Windows 2000, plus what I've seen users saying on forums, even HP's own. I did a conventional Windows uninstallation of it, followed by running a batch file, that HP refers to as 'Scrubbers'.

The native Windows 7 driver was allowed to load, and it worked fine unsandboxed, but sandboxed, it was just the same, failure every time.

Fortunately, at the time of the original installation I had used a monitored installation utility that generated a file showing changes to the system. This is Randy Hall's update and rewrite of the classic PCMag utility, InCtrl5, plus Randy's original companion utility, ChkCtrl5. Running this against the remains of the installation showed that the 'official' Windows un-installation, including HP's special 'Scrubber' utility, had left a tremendous amount of junk behind, both in the Registry and file system.

But now, printing function started to return, once the Windows 7 native printer driver loaded.

After seeing this progress, I used Regedit to manually pull out the remaining HP 'left-overs', rebooted, and tested printing from a sandboxed text editor. It now worked perfectly, with the Print Preview appearing every time, just a quickly as if the program were not sandboxed.

:oops: I apologize to Tzuk for having to spend so much time and effort for something 'flakey' in software produced by others. It is a mystery as to why the problem turns up when running sandboxed, but not when out of the box. I had thought it would have be the same, but apparently not.
RonC
Windows 7 Pro SP1 (32-bit)
RonC

Postby tzuk » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:28 pm

Good job! I was sure we would need to find a workaround, so I'm glad to hear you figured it out.
tzuk
tzuk
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Problem Reports