Trust No Program

Problems with Chrome and Sandboxie

Please post your problem description here

Problems with Chrome and Sandboxie

Postby ExtremeGamerBR » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:24 pm

Hello!

I need your help!

These days I decided to install Chrome 13 and had some small problems, but that bothered. First of all, this is my operating system and security programs that run in real time:

I use: Sandboxie 3.58 (Experimental Protection) + Norton Internet Security 2012 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64Bits + Ad Muncher Premium 4.92

These are the problems:

1. If I have a PDF file on the PC and I drag to Chrome (It should open) but just nothing happens. This problem occurs only when I drag and drop the file in Chrome, if I open via "Open with" run normally. With Chrome out of the sandbox it opens normally.

2. The spell checker does not work with Chrome sandboxed. With Chrome out of the sandbox the spell checker back to work.

3. Norton Safe Web (Present in Norton Internet Security 2012) is unstable, at times it blocks malicious pages and at other times not. With Chrome out of the sandbox it opens normally.

Thanks in advance! :)

Sorry for my English

Best Regards!
Sandboxie Paid • Ad Muncher Premium • KeyScrambler Professional • Shadow Defender • Keriver 1-Click Restore Pro
ExtremeGamerBR

Postby tzuk » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:57 pm

1. Drag and drop is a known issue with Chrome. I hope I can improve this at some point but for now you have to use Open File commands.

2. What spell checker?

3. I will try Norton Safe Web Lite to see if I can reproduce the problem. How can I find a malicious page to check?
tzuk
tzuk

Postby ExtremeGamerBR » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:32 pm

Hello, thank you for your support! :)

1. Okay, I'll wait for the fix!

2. Chrome comes standard with a spell checker, but not works with the Sandboxie. Out of the sandbox it works normally.

3. I do not know if the Safe Web Lite works with Chrome (Since compatibility with Chrome was introduced in NIS 2012). In any case it considers a malicious page is: www.spycar.org

Thanks in advance!
Sandboxie Paid • Ad Muncher Premium • KeyScrambler Professional • Shadow Defender • Keriver 1-Click Restore Pro
ExtremeGamerBR

Spell checker

Postby Day1 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:42 pm

ExtremeGamerBR wrote:Hello, thank you for your support! :)

1. Okay, I'll wait for the fix!

2. Chrome comes standard with a spell checker, but not works with the Sandboxie. Out of the sandbox it works normally.

3. I do not know if the Safe Web Lite works with Chrome (Since compatibility with Chrome was introduced in NIS 2012). In any case it considers a malicious page is: www.spycar.org

Thanks in advance!

Spell checker is working here with Chorme (13.0.782.220) sandboxed 3.59.02 Experimental protection enabled.
Day1

Postby Page42 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:17 am

Hey Extreme

FYI, Norton DNS throws up a block page on that link you posted (using Chrome) and the detailed report is all about Safe Web findings... so, if you can't get Safe Web to run right with Sandboxie, at least Norton DNS looks like it is giving you some Safe Web protection.

Page
My security setup: Sandboxie, and some other stuff.
Page42

Postby is_m00nbl00d » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:48 pm

Page42 wrote:Hey Extreme

FYI, Norton DNS throws up a block page on that link you posted (using Chrome) and the detailed report is all about Safe Web findings... so, if you can't get Safe Web to run right with Sandboxie, at least Norton DNS looks like it is giving you some Safe Web protection.

Page

Norton DNS does get the info from Safe Web.

This information comes from our Safe Web database.

Source: http://www.nortondns.com/faq/

Maybe you knew this already. hah
is_m00nbl00d

Postby ExtremeGamerBR » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:49 pm

Page42 wrote:Hey Extreme

Page

I do not like to use DNS services. So I'm using Firefox until I know about a possible fix these small problems. :?
ExtremeGamerBR

Re: Problems with Chrome and Sandboxie

Postby Guest10 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:12 pm

ExtremeGamerBR wrote:2. The spell checker does not work with Chrome sandboxed. With Chrome out of the sandbox the spell checker back to work.
I assume you mean that sandboxed Chrome does not remember the words that are saved to the user's dictionary.
Otherwise, the spell checker works for me, in sandboxed Chrome (v13.0.782.220 and 14.0.835.163)

It appears that Chrome saves words to the user's dictionary file at:
Vista/Win7: C:\Users\(user)\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Custom Dictionary.txt
XP: C:\Documents and Settings\(user)\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Custom Dictionary.txt

If you already have a file called "Custom Dictionary.txt" at the above location (outside of the sandbox), you can allow Chrome to have Direct Access to that file, and it should save words to the dictionary file outside of the sandbox:
Sandbox Settings > Resource Access > File Access > Direct Access
"Add program" button: chrome.exe
"Add" button: Navigate to and select the "Custom Dictionary.txt" file.
OK your way out.
----
Note:
None of the existing templates for Chrome will allow direct file access to the user's custom dictionary file, assuming that it is stored where I have shown it above.
All of the existing templates assume that Chrome's data will be stored in the Chrome profile folder, at:
%Local AppData%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default
but for me, the dictionary file is in the "User Data" folder, and not in "User Data\Default".

OpenFilePath=chrome.exe,%Local AppData%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Custom Dictionary.txt

or (since the current [TemplateSetting] for Chrome cannot be used in a template for this file) to allow for an alternate profile folder location, that setting could be shortened to:
OpenFilePath=chrome.exe,*\Custom Dictionary.txt
Paul
XP Pro SP3 (Admin), Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, Malwarebytes Pro, Firefox 33, Thunderbird 31.
Sandboxie user since March 2007.
Guest10

Postby ExtremeGamerBR » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:15 am

Thanks for your help!

I noticed one thing, if I disable and then enable the spell checker it works normally! Apparently problem solved.

But the PDF reader and Norton do not know what to do. :(

Tzuk, any news?
ExtremeGamerBR

Postby Guest10 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:32 pm

ExtremeGamerBR wrote:I noticed one thing, if I disable and then enable the spell checker it works normally! Apparently problem solved.
But if you 'add to dictionary' a word that the dictionary doesn't know (while sandboxed), I assume that during the next sandboxed or unsandboxed session, when you enter that word the dictionary will again flag it as a possible spelling error.
So yes, the spell check will work, with words that it already recognizes.
But you will not be able to save any new words to the dictionary, while running sandboxed.
Paul
XP Pro SP3 (Admin), Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, Malwarebytes Pro, Firefox 33, Thunderbird 31.
Sandboxie user since March 2007.
Guest10

Postby tzuk » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:32 pm

I installed Chrome 13, then the trial version of Norton 2012, then Sandboxie. Sandboxie detected Norton 2012 and applied compatibility settings. When I started Chrome under Sandboxie and visited www.spycar.org, I got the SafeWeb block page, just like Chrome outside the sandbox.

So this means that I was not able to reproduce the problem you describe ExtremeGamerBR.

Perhaps you don't have the Norton 2012 compatibility settings applied in Sandboxie?
tzuk
tzuk

Postby ExtremeGamerBR » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:50 am

My problem with Norton IS happens randomly. Sometimes the Web Safe blocked, others not. What can I try to do is install Sandboxie and only after the NIS. I'll try that later (tomorrow).

Thanks for your help and I will reply soon. Just remember that I am using Windows 7 x64.
ExtremeGamerBR

Return to Problem Reports