Trust No Program

Sboxied Chrome won't download to desktop automatically

Please post your problem description here

Sboxied Chrome won't download to desktop automatically

Postby noobster » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:37 am

Sandboxie 3.58 Experimental
Chrome 13.0.782.220 m
Windows 7 x64bit

I have set unSandboxed Chrome to download to desktop, but when I download within Sandboxie, it tries to download into Documents, and I have to change it to Desktop each time.
noobster

Postby smallpebble » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:29 am

I don't know if this will help or not but I've had a few weird problems with Chrome lately, like running it outside the sandbox and adding an extension, then when I run it sandboxed the extension wasn't there.

I found that if I empty the sandbox first, then run Chrome outside the sandbox and make what changes I want, when I run Chrome sandboxed, because it's starting with a fresh sandbox my settings are fine.

Hope this helps
smallpebble

Postby noobster » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:24 pm

Thank you for the suggestion smallpebble, but I set the download path to Desktop when Chrome was unSandboxed. It still tries to put downloaded files into Documents each time, which is a pain because I do a lot of downloading of small files.
noobster

Postby tzuk » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:09 pm

I think smallpebble suggested that you delete the contents of your sandbox, did you try that noobster?
tzuk
tzuk

Postby noobster » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:10 pm

tzuk wrote:I think smallpebble suggested that you delete the contents of your sandbox, did you try that noobster?

Sorry, I missed that. I always have Sandboxie set to automatically delete contents on closing.
noobster

Postby noobster » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:45 am

By the way, I don't have that problem with Internet Explorer.
noobster

Postby tzuk » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:14 am

If you look in your download settings for the sandboxed Chrome, which folder do you see configured there for download?

I tried this with Chrome 13.0.782.20 and I see that when I change the download folder in the Chrome outside the sandbox, I see the correct setting reflected in the Chrome inside the sandbox.
tzuk
tzuk

Postby noobster » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:14 pm

tzuk wrote:If you look in your download settings for the sandboxed Chrome, which folder do you see configured there for download?

I tried this with Chrome 13.0.782.20 and I see that when I change the download folder in the Chrome outside the sandbox, I see the correct setting reflected in the Chrome inside the sandbox.

That's what is so frustrating about this, sboxed and un-sboxed Chrome shows 'Desktop' as the destination for downloads. Something is over-riding that, and I have no idea what it could be. The odd thing is that un-sboxed Chrome downloads to the 'Desktop'.

I just reinstalled both Sandboxie and Chrome, didn't help.

Edit: I should also say that two weeks ago I tried Chrome Beta, and after a couple of days went back to regular Chrome. I had some difficulty getting the Beta completely off the computer. I am not sure if the download problem was occurring before the Beta trial.
noobster

Postby noobster » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:50 pm

Tzuk, I just discovered something odd that might be a clue. For the first time in a while I just downloaded an .exe file, and I was surprised when it went to Desktop with no problem. So right after that I tried a .zip file (what I normally download), and for the first time in a while it went to desktop also.. Then I closed sandboxed Chrome, then reopened it, and tried the same zip file, and had the old problem, it wanted to go to Documents. So I tested it by doing the same thing over, with same results: .exe file went right to Desktop, .zip file right afterwards also went to Desktop. But after closing and reopening sboxed Chrome, the .zip file downloaded first wanted to go to Documents.
noobster

Postby Guest10 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:08 pm

If you are using the Chrome Sandbox Setting:
Allow direct access to Google Chrome preferences

Does it make any difference if you uncheck that item, and start with an empty sandbox?
Paul
XP Pro SP3 (Admin), Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, Malwarebytes Pro, Firefox 34, Thunderbird 31.
Sandboxie user since March 2007.
Guest10

Postby noobster » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:06 am

Guest10 I just tried it checked and unchecked, didn't solve the problem.

I suppose loading the Chrome Beta or some other action could have messed up my computer, though as far as I can tell, this is the only problem I am having. If a solution can't be found, I will have to load a system image and start over.
noobster

Postby Guest10 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:03 am

noobster wrote:If a solution can't be found, I will have to load a system image and start over.
I've been there, and that's why I now backup about once a week and keep a log book of changes.
Are you sure that you don't have the same problem if you download multiple files when not sandboxed:
that the download folder location changes after a few downloads.

Is there any download helper extension installed, or do you have one that runs unsandboxed and downloads files instead of using Chrome's downloader?
Paul
XP Pro SP3 (Admin), Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, Malwarebytes Pro, Firefox 34, Thunderbird 31.
Sandboxie user since March 2007.
Guest10

Postby noobster » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:26 pm

The problem only occurs when Chrome is Sandboxed. I'd tried a download manager, but had taken it off with Revo Uninstall a while ago. I guess something got messed up along the way, yesterday the Sandboxie window wouldn't open until I restarted the computer. That was the limit for me, so I've started fresh, installing the system image. I am adding programs now, I'll post if I have the same problem, but I really doubt I will. Thank you for trying to find a solution to what was more than likely a system glitch.
noobster

Postby noobster » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:37 am

I wasn't expecting this. Did an image install that is pretty much just Windows 7, and then the latest updates and a few utilities. And the same thing happened, Chrome in Sandboxie wants to download into Documents, even though Chrome has been set outside of Sandboxie to download to Desktop. I'm totally stumped.
noobster

Postby tzuk » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:33 am

I'm sorry to hear you're going through so much trouble, noobster. I still don't know how to reproduce the problem so I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps workaround the problem by letting Chrome download to a sandboxed Documents folder and then use Quick or Immediate Recovery to move the downloaded files to the Desktop folder.
tzuk
tzuk

Next

Return to Problem Reports