Trust No Program

The Sandboxie driver (SbieDrv) is not available ...

Please post your problem description here

The Sandboxie driver (SbieDrv) is not available ...

Postby GµårÐïåñ » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:42 pm

I have been using Sandboxie for a very long time and have had generally no issues with it. The latest version of 3.54 on this machine has been since it has been released and before that the previous versions without issue. This box is a 32-bit (x86), nothing special. No configuration changes have occurred on this machine, no other software have been recently installed that weren't already there. There was no recent updates immediately prior to this error, since Sandboxie was used many times since the last update of any kind. I have and regularly empty out the sandbox, so that should not be the issue either. It is the first time I am seeing this error and for some bizarre reason, it keeps happening now.

The problem I have with it is the order in which the error occurs and what doesn't make sense, I will explain further. I wish I could upload a screenshot but since I can't here is the full error that shows up:

|------------------------
| Sandboxie Start
|------------------------
|
| The Sandboxie driver (SbiDrv) is not available to sandbox programs.
| Make sure both the driver and Sandboxie service (SbieSvc) have started
| successfully.
|
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------OK

The reason I find it odd is that this error pops up AFTER a sandboxed program is closed, not before. I right clicked on a video file that was sent to me by a client, click on run sandboxed. Nothing unusual, I do this all the time. It opened up, ran fine, I reviewed it and then closed the program as I always do and then pops up this warning. I click on OK it goes away and I start something else in the same manner, it loads it and works and then you close it, it gives this warning again. Now that it has began doing it, it won't stop, does it after closing anything that has been running sandboxed. If the SbieDrv and SbieSvc were not running as the warning claims, then it would not be able to run anything sandboxed to begin with and yet there it is doing it.

So what happened here? I was just going to write it off as something annoying like the "rebuilding cache" dialog that pops up and lasts FOREVER when sandboxing VLC but I figured this might be something that needs to be looked into. Maybe an uncaught exception that generates an error outside the logic block but not actually responding to a real problem? Don't know, but since I am a professional developer, if you have any questions or need further information, let me know and I will do my best to provide it. Thanks.
GµårÐïåñ
 

Postby tzuk » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:12 pm

Are you absolutely sure that your programs really are running correctly under Sandboxie?

Do you have Sandboxie Control running at the same time and displaying its yellow icon in the tray area of the taskbar?

Do you see your sandboxed programs displayed in Sandboxie Control?
tzuk
tzuk
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16076
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:57 pm

OP Response

Postby GµårÐïåñ » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:07 am

tzuk wrote:Are you absolutely sure that your programs really are running correctly under Sandboxie?


100% as long as the information provided in the Sandboxie window is correct. Yes.

tzuk wrote:Do you have Sandboxie Control running at the same time and displaying its yellow icon in the tray area of the taskbar?


Sandboxie control is always in the system tray and when its not running anything it is simply yellow and when it is running something, it becomes poka dot and the caption of the program will have the hash marks on either side. So with being said, yes.

tzuk wrote:Do you see your sandboxed programs displayed in Sandboxie Control?


Yes, based on the information displayed in the window branched under the sandbox, as well as the hash marks on the program that is run.

I assure you, I am not a novice and I know how the program works, I have quite a long history with it, I am fully aware and responsible for my host system and can vouch for it being 100% secure and configured properly with no fragmentation of registry or drive or anything else. That's why I was surprised by this bizarre behavior and reached out to you, otherwise other issues I have always resolved on my own. This was nothing I could explain locally, so had to assume it was run-time generated dialog of some possible logic error. Not sure.
GµårÐïåñ
 

Re: OP Response

Postby tzuk » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:32 pm

GµårÐïåñ wrote:Maybe an uncaught exception that generates an error outside the logic block but not actually responding to a real problem? ... This was nothing I could explain locally, so had to assume it was run-time generated dialog of some possible logic error. Not sure.


You may be right. Looking at the code, it is technically possible for that error dialog to appear for some reason other than the driver not being active.

But the more puzzling point is that this error box should be displayed by the Start.exe program before the requested program starts in the sandbox. Yet you say you see the error box after the program finishes.

Do you have auto-delete set on your sandbox? Start.exe runs in "delete contents" mode, when an auto-delete sandbox goes inactive. Please look in the Delete section of your Sandbox Settings in Sandboxie Control, and see if you can find any hints there.
tzuk
tzuk
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16076
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:57 pm

Re: OP Response Follow-up

Postby GµårÐïåñ » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:12 pm

tzuk wrote:You may be right. Looking at the code, it is technically possible for that error dialog to appear for some reason other than the driver not being active.


I figured as much, so worth a look just to be sure.

tzuk wrote:But the more puzzling point is that this error box should be displayed by the Start.exe program before the requested program starts in the sandbox. Yet you say you see the error box after the program finishes.


EXACTLY, that was my point and why I was surprised to see it. It was showing up AFTER the program ends not at the start which made no sense. The reason I used, WAS, is because as of this morning the error no longer pops up. The bizarre thing, NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY nothing, no matter how insignificant changed on my system before, during, or after the errors showed up and stopped. I am now very flummoxed as to what is going on.

tzuk wrote:Do you have auto-delete set on your sandbox? Start.exe runs in "delete contents" mode, when an auto-delete sandbox goes inactive. Please look in the Delete section of your Sandbox Settings in Sandboxie Control, and see if you can find any hints there.


No I do not have that. I routinely delete the content every month or so. I know I should do it more often but I find doing it manually every first of the month is usually enough. I checked the INI and there is no delete settings there, I could give you the INI file contents if that would help you.
GµårÐïåñ
 

Postby tzuk » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:49 am

Alright. Here's another idea. Next time you see this error message, you should try to use Process Explorer to look at the related Start.exe process and see what command line was used to run it.
tzuk
tzuk
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16076
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:57 pm

Postby GµårÐïåñ » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:35 pm

tzuk wrote:Alright. Here's another idea. Next time you see this error message, you should try to use Process Explorer to look at the related Start.exe process and see what command line was used to run it.


Absolutely, will do. In fact I am kicking myself now for not doing that when it happened, I didn't expect it was going to disappear given it was persistent on each run. But now that it stopped, I am kicking myself for not having grabbed that when I had a chance. But as soon as it presents itself again, you got it.
GµårÐïåñ
 


Return to Problem Reports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], kkeule and 4 guests

cron