Trust No Program

Questions About Invincea Acquiring Sandboxie?

If it's not about a problem in the program

Postby Nix » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:23 am

Page42 wrote:I wish those were the only concerns.

There are other concern... Lets just hope that SBIE is further developed as a standalone and not integrated cause that may invalidate all our licenses.
Nix

Win 7 32/64,
Active:Sandboxie, AppGuard, MBAM v2,WinPatrol, Windows Firewall Control
Nix

Postby grieving over » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:20 am

PepC4U2 wrote:Some past acquisitions:

Can't say nothing about some of them but the others that I've deplored about:

Oracle acquires Sun Microsystems (Virtualbox)
VB is half-dead, last release branches are far less stable then previous, and a lot of bugs still here for a years, someone with a four-digit numbers ever.

Symantec acquires PC Tools and Sygate Technologies
Sygate FW been mentioned somewhere nearby.

Check Point Software Technologies acquires Zone Labs (ZoneAlarm)
ZA protection ratings noticeably dropped, to a very average level.

360Safe (360.cn) acquires Malware Defender
This one (MD) was the only (after some others was discontinued) and one of the best (for a tech-savvy users) HIPS.

Sunbelt Software acquires Kerio Personal Firewall
Everybody who had started from a first Kerio FWs can write only a dirty words.

PepC4U2 wrote:It will be interesting to hear what Tzuk has to say in the coming days.
Yeah, sure. But statistically...
grieving over

Postby Jarmo S » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:35 pm

This news is bad for me for the reason that I can't live with just the free version available. I need my many sandboxes.
I registered a day after the lifetime license was cancelled.

For years SBIE free was my main protection. Just happy using it but not anymore. I need all my sandboxes and other payed stuff it has more.

These corporate takeovers have never been good for the software. In XP times the Sygate firewall was a great protection. I felt its dvelopment had stagnated since as hard as they tried they could not get the security center regocnizion right before the takeover. I felt somehow the real developer had left. But there was the active forum and those no hips firewalls don't need updates as such. Killed by Symantec.

If Sandboxie development continues, as I hope very much, for me I'd like that development be just a one programmer's operation, tzuk's !

Seen too many times after a corporate takeover, nothing happens but fake over new releases and trying to cash money on past good software. Or as in Sygate's case to kill it because it was too popular for the competition.

This is anyways not the case with Sandboxie. There are no real alternatives for us regarding sandboxing solutions with the Windows at the moment.

Jarmo
Sandboxie 4.10, TinyWall Windows firewall controller, AppGuard 4.0, Avast 2014.9.0.2018 free, Firefox 29 with NoScript, Chrome 35 with HTTPSB, W7 64 bit, using standard user account
Jarmo S

Postby tzuk » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:26 pm

Yesterday, Invincea announced acquisition of Sandboxie.

Let me start by saying once again I would like to thank all of you for creating such a friendly and supportive community. It was a great privilege for me to be able to offer a useful program to the world, and a great pleasure to see how well it was received and promoted. Your encouragement during these past several years made all the difference.

We are now at a point when Sandboxie is mature and stable, and so I am happy to pass the torch to the capable hands of Invincea, a market leader who can take Sandboxie to places that were not accessible to me as a small developer.

In about six weeks, I will depart from Sandboxie. By that time, Invincea will introduce itself to this community, and will be able to maintain continuity with Sandboxie. There may be some changes, but please rest assured that there is little cause for concern.

Some of you have asked about the life-time licenses. As stated in the October 9th announcement about changes to licensing, Invincea respects the old licensing terms for old licenses, and this explicitly applies to the life-time licenses. The new October 9th licensing terms apply to licenses issued starting on October 9th, 2013.
tzuk
tzuk
Site Admin

Postby bo.elam » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:01 pm

Hi Tzuk, one question, I hope you can answer it.

Is Sandboxie going to continue as a standalone application?

I am happy for you but sad because Sandboxie without you is not Sandboxie.

Bo
bo.elam

Postby Blues » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:40 pm

Tzuk, it's been a pleasure "knowing" you through the forum and the software and being along for the ride.

You will be greatly missed by the Sandboxie community but I hope it won't be the last we hear of you.

I want to thank you for this groundbreaking software that so quickly became a staple on my own and so many other computer systems.

The new owners have some big shoes to fill but your endorsement of their stewardship of Sandboxie speaks volumes.

Best of luck to you regardless of what road awaits.
Blues

Real-Time: Sandboxie (Lifetime), Online Armor Premium, Webroot SecureAnywhere AV

On Demand: Shadow Defender, MBAM Pro, HitmanPro, Drive Snapshot / Macrium Reflect
Blues

Postby nanana1 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:41 pm

Thanks, tzuk, for your development and commitment to Sandboxie ! We had much fun together when you were here. :D

While I am assured the new owners will take good care of Sandboxie and us users, we will certainly miss your involvement.

I wish you all the best and look forward to your next software adventure and when that happens, let us know and we might be there to ride together again. ;)
nanana1, a paid lifetime license Sandboxie user
nanana1

Postby Page42 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:53 pm

tzuk wrote:In about six weeks, I will depart from Sandboxie.

Certainly words I was hoping to never hear.
But for you, I am happy. You deserve all that comes your way. Thank you for your untiring efforts, tzuk!
Sandboxie, and some other stuff.
Page42

Postby Potatooo » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:10 pm

I hope this allows for more features to be added to Sandboxie and a redesign. Looking forward to it refreshing this stagnating application :shock:
Potatooo

Postby demoneye » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:31 pm

חדשות רעות :( :( :(

I am afraid Sandboxie after tzuk will not be the same...matter of fact i am sure about it :(

cya around Brother :oops:
Last edited by demoneye on Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
demoneye

Postby bo.elam » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:36 pm

Potatooo wrote:I hope this allows for more features to be added to Sandboxie and a redesign. Looking forward to it refreshing this stagnating application :shock:

As a long time user, I prefer Sandboxie remains as it is, a sandbox. If you add undesirable features, SBIE will become just another bloated software.

Bo
bo.elam

Postby Jarmo S » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:47 pm

I could not agree more with your words Bo. Needs none new features etc. and as a stand alone app only, guarding what is needed. Without Ronen I doubt it will happen :(

Lets keep our thumbs up anyways.
Last edited by Jarmo S on Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandboxie 4.10, TinyWall Windows firewall controller, AppGuard 4.0, Avast 2014.9.0.2018 free, Firefox 29 with NoScript, Chrome 35 with HTTPSB, W7 64 bit, using standard user account
Jarmo S

Postby bo.elam » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:49 pm

Jarmo, I am sad to say it but Sandboxie as we know it is no more.

Bo
bo.elam

Postby Peter2150 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:49 pm

Tzuk

I to have to add my thanks for what Sandboxie has done. I hope this means bigger and better things for you.

All the best, my friend.

Pete
Peter2150

Postby TBones » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:51 pm

Thank you for the peace of mind and best wishes for the future tzuk!
TBones

PreviousNext

Return to Quick Questions