Trust No Program

usage: start.exe <program name> error?

Please post your problem description here

usage: start.exe <program name> error?

Postby Tony629 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:07 am

Sandboxie 3.62
Windows 7 x64

I'm trying to set up a batch file to launch sandboxie and various other third party programs in it, however, I'm caught up in the very first command. Whenever I try to use Start.exe, I get the error message "usage: start.exe <program name>". I tried to work around it, using the shortcut to launch sandboxie as it seems to be functioning , strangely enough, but it doesn't solve my problem.

I found this previous thread of someone with a similar issue, but the help suggested provided no help for me.
http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10888

Any help is greatly appriciated.
Tony629

Postby Guest10 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:12 pm

You're going to have to be clearer about what you're trying to do.
"Starting Sandboxie" to me, means starting the service, driver, and the Sandboxie Control program.

If you mean starting programs sandboxed using start.exe, make sure you are using the full path to Sandboxie's start.exe, because Windows also has an internal "start.exe" program for command files.
Like:
"C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\start.exe" ...

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?StartCommandLine
Paul
XP Pro SP3 (Admin), Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, Malwarebytes Pro, Firefox 32, Thunderbird 31.
Sandboxie user since March 2007.
Guest10

Postby Tony 629 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:10 pm

I do mean starting programs sandboxed. installed Sandboxie to my D drive, which is where the start.exe is, should I reinstall to my C drive?
Tony 629

Postby Buster » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Start.exe is also a command from OS. Be sure you are executing Sandboxie´s Start.exe and not the system one.
Buster

Postby Guest10 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:54 pm

No, it's OK to have Sandboxie installed on your D: drive.
If you want to use the Sandboxie start.exe program, just make sure to have the full path to that program in the batch file.
"D:\...\Sandboxie\start.exe" ...

Just in case you don't know, in the Sandboxie Control window there's a button to create shortcuts:
Configure > Windows Shell Integration > "Add Shortcut Icons"
Paul
XP Pro SP3 (Admin), Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, Malwarebytes Pro, Firefox 32, Thunderbird 31.
Guest10

Postby Tony629 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:25 pm

It's not the command I have written wrong, it's the error message I receive when trying to use start.exe or put it in a command. If I can eliminate the error, then my batch files should be fine. usage: start.exe <program name> is what I get when I try to start sandboxie normally, without a batch file. I've uninstalled/reinstalled/updated/rebooted, can't seem to get rid of the problem.
Tony629

Postby Guest10 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:06 pm

List one start.exe line that gives you the message.
Paul
Guest10

Postby Falcon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:26 pm

Tony629 wrote:It's not the command I have written wrong, it's the error message I receive when trying to use start.exe or put it in a command. If I can eliminate the error, then my batch files should be fine. usage: start.exe <program name> is what I get when I try to start sandboxie normally, without a batch file. I've uninstalled/reinstalled/updated/rebooted, can't seem to get rid of the problem.

Hello Tony629,

Can you post the exact command line with the start.exe that gave the error message and also what error message di you get ?
Falcon

Return to Problem Reports