Trust No Program

Isolating a TweakUI Behavior

Please post your problem description here

Isolating a TweakUI Behavior

Postby CronoCat » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:59 am

Windows XPSP3
Sandboxie 3.64 (x32)

Hey, folks.

I've lately started using a stylus and tablet and find that workflow's much better using X-mouse, which can foreground different windows for you and set the focus/caret to them just by the position of your mouse-pointer. This is useful glancing at references or with multiple monitors, different editor windows open to sample colors, etc.

Thus far I've just been using the X-Mouse option in TweakUI (v 2.10.0.0 for XPSP1 and higher... http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Syst ... akUI.shtml) to enable this. It's nice given it just makes changes and can be closed (versus adding one more utility process that can crash at any time and break functionality until I restart), but it still gets rather tedious to tick off the checkbox to use the feature then "apply" changes each time I change to look at my inbox or something while I'm working.

I was looking to use Sandboxie to figure out just what settings are being altered so I could implement a standalone control and link it to shortcut, however I think registry-access is not being controlled correctly. Unsandboxed there's a change to UserPreferencesMask in HCKU\Control Panel\Desktop but when sandboxed SandBoxDiff reports it's done nothing (no writes) to the sandbox hive. In addition, there aren't signs that anything else was done, including whatever magic Tweak does to populate the registry changes to the operating system and have them become active. Finding /that/ out is really the key here. I feel like I might need still a finer-toothed comb.

Thoughts?
CronoCat

Postby Buster » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:15 am

With Buster Sandbox Analyzer I can see registry changes.
Buster

Postby Brummelchen » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:35 pm

no changes found on that option - maybe it is no longer supported.

on win7 its enabled although i never activated it.
Brummelchen

Postby Buster » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:21 pm

I guessed the option works because he is using it. If it works that means there is a change.
Buster

Postby Guest10 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:53 pm

Using the TweakUI program for XP (unsandboxed) will turn on the X-Mouse feature(s) with sandboxed and unsandboxed windows.
But Sandboxie is blocking changes to "system parameters" by a sandboxed program, when you run TweakUI sandboxed.
So BSA and SandboxDiff do not record any Registry changes: because there were no changes to record. They were blocked.
If you turn on the Resource Access Monitor, before using the TweakUI program (sandboxed) to turn on the X-Mouse features, the resulting report will show the blocking of system parameters.

You can override the blocking of changes to system parameters, under Restrictions > Low-level Access, and allow changes to be made to system parameters.
But before you do that, you need to understand that these parameter changes will then be made to the "real" Registry, outside of the sandbox.
It's just the same as running the TweakUI program unsandboxed, as far as system parameters are concerned.

What it comes down to is: You cannot use Sandboxie and BSA, SandboxDiff, etc to track the changes that are made to these Registry settings.
They're either blocked or written outside of the sandbox.
----
Using the RegShot program (unsandboxed) to track Registry changes didn't give a complete result, either.
There's a change made to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

Default setting:
"UserPreferencesMask"=hex:9e,3e,06,80

Activation On; window autoraise Off:
"UserPreferencesMask"=hex:9f,3e,06,80

Activatation On; window autoraise On:
"UserPreferencesMask"=hex:df,3e,06,80

But, changing this one Registry value by itself still does not turn the X-Mouse features on or off.
There's something else that needs to be done, that I didn't find.
Paul
XP Pro SP3 (Admin), Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, Malwarebytes Pro, Firefox 31, Thunderbird 31
Guest10

Return to Problem Reports