Trust No Program

Emsisoft Anti-Malware Question (Compatibility)

If it doesn't fit elsewhere, it goes here

Emsisoft Anti-Malware Question (Compatibility)

Postby Blues » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:10 pm

Tzuk,

Quick question about EAM.

If we use the free version of EAM (on demand scans only, no services running when not scanning), should we enable the EAM compatibility in the "configure" -"software compatibility" dropdown?

(The free version of EAM does not use the behavior blocker, surf protection or file guard...and I have the service set to "manual".)

Thanks in advance and Happy Hanukkah. 8)
Blues

Real-Time: Sandboxie (Lifetime), Online Armor Premium, Webroot SecureAnywhere AV

On Demand: Shadow Defender, MBAM Pro, HitmanPro, Drive Snapshot / Macrium Reflect
Blues

Postby D1G1T@L » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:52 am

Although addressed to Tzuk, I hope my response could be of assistance.

If EAM is functional and able to carry out an on demand scan in the sandbox -without compatibility settings unchecked, then its better to leave them be. The less holes you poke into the sandbox the better. So this is a matter of trial and error on your part. If it works great, if not, then its really up to you to decide after weighing the potential benefits of using EAM inside the sandbox.
One Program to rule them all, One Program to confine them, One Program to wrest them all and in the sandbox bind them.
D1G1T@L

Postby Blues » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:03 am

I certainly do appreciate your reply and welcome other members to respond as well. Sorry that the way I addressed it seemed to restrict the question to Tzuk.

I generally don't use AV to scan inside the sandbox with the exception of a folder used for downloads (which forces any apps to be run sandboxed just in case).

I normally use Hitman Pro to scan my downloads since it's faster and EAM to (ordinarily) run "quick" or "smart" scans.

Just to clarify, however, are you saying that Sandboxie's protection is stronger with or without EAM being "checked" in the compatibility setting?

My main concern is the integrity of the sandbox and not the ability to use EAM.

Thanks. 8)
Blues

Real-Time: Sandboxie (Lifetime), Online Armor Premium, Webroot SecureAnywhere AV

On Demand: Shadow Defender, MBAM Pro, HitmanPro, Drive Snapshot / Macrium Reflect
Blues

Postby D1G1T@L » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:39 am

Blues wrote:Just to clarify, however, are you saying that Sandboxie's protection is stronger with or without EAM being "checked" in the compatibility setting?

Sandboxie is stronger without the compatibility option being checked. The reason being is that there is no holes punched in the sandbox in that case.
One Program to rule them all, One Program to confine them, One Program to wrest them all and in the sandbox bind them.
D1G1T@L

Postby Blues » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:59 am

D1G1T@L wrote:
Blues wrote:Just to clarify, however, are you saying that Sandboxie's protection is stronger with or without EAM being "checked" in the compatibility setting?

Sandboxie is stronger without the compatibility option being checked. The reason being is that there is no holes punched in the sandbox in that case.

Thanks. I thought that was what you were saying to me but wanted to make sure we were on the same page.

I'm going to uncheck the compatibility option and see how things go.

I appreciate your feedback.
Blues

Blues

Return to Anything Else