Trust No Program

SBIE2208

Please post your problem description here

SBIE2208

Postby Pilgrim » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:18 pm

I realise this subject has been brought up before but having looked at all the posts I can find on the subject I have been unable to find a solution.
I have a registered version 3.34 running in XP SP3, I have three sandboxes set up, Default for browsers Firefox and IE7, No1 for email programs Mailwasher Pro and Outlook Express, No2 spare.
When I attempt to delete any of the sandboxes I get the same message, SBIE2208.
I have tried using EndItAll 2 no difference, I have tried logging off and on again no difference.
I have Eraser and Unlocker as well as several similar programs, none of them make any difference.
Using Process Explorer it is showing 4 items in each box as System but I have been unable to pin down exactly what processes they are.
The only way I can empty the sandboxes is to reboot and manually delete them.
I have been using Sandboxie for a couple of years and this is the first time I have had this problem?
Pilgrim

Postby tzuk » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:41 pm

Do you have any idea why or when you started getting this problem?
Have you installed any new programs recently?
tzuk
tzuk
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:21 pm

The problem started after I updated to 3.34.
Yes I have installed a couple of new programs but I have tried disabling them completely and it made no difference in any case there is only one of them that is permanently running and that is the latest version of Ad-Aware, but even with that disabled I still get the problem.
What has really surprised me about this is that when I run EndItAll 2 I still cannot delete the sandboxes because that shuts down very nearly everything.
I know nothing about programming but I have wondered about the fact that even after a reboot I still have to manually delete the Reg Hives and the Reg Hive.logs?

Postby tzuk » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:16 pm

the latest version of Ad-Aware

If you're takling about the anniversary edition, then that should be the cause of the problem. I got reports about it but haven't looked into it yet.
tzuk
tzuk
Site Admin

Postby Pilgrim » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:12 pm

Yes that is the version I am talking about.
I did try disabling it but possibly there was part of it still running that never showed up.
The timing of when the problem started is about right as well.
Pilgrim

SBIE2208 & AdAware

Postby herbie » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:14 pm

I was getting this error too & was getting quite frustrated by it. Was just about ready to get rid of Sandboxie. I even uninstalled V.3.34 & went back to V.3.30 which I started out with & had no problems. But now, the same error popped up there too.

Then I remembered I had recently updated to the new version of AdAware. I too had disabled it, along with my McAfee & everything else I could think of. But, still had the problem. As AdAware was the only change I had made before this error started, I finally uninstalled it. BINGO---the sand box now could be deleted again & has been working fine every since.
herbie

Postby Pilgrim » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:24 pm

I think I will leave things as they are for a bit in the hope that a solution can be found.
Pilgrim

Postby tzuk » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:54 pm

I'll move this to the Open Issues forum and will look into this soon.
tzuk
tzuk
Site Admin

Postby tzuk » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:42 pm

Sandboxie creates a special key in the sandboxed registry, classes similar to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

The creation of this key confuses Ad-Aware in some way. I don't know why or how. But any attempts to delete this special key when Ad-Aware is running gets the error code "some program is currently accessing this key". Although as far as I can tell using Process Explorer, no program is accessing that key.

So I can't explain it, but I can make this classes key "not special", if Sandboxie detects the Ad-Aware service is installed. It's not the best solution but it should work fine.
tzuk
tzuk
Site Admin

Postby tzuk » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:16 pm

Unfortunately it turns out that solution doesn't even work. Even if the registry key classes is created like any other normal registry key, Ad-Aware still prevents the sandboxed registry from being unloaded. And since the files that make up the sandboxed registry reside in the sandbox folder, it means the sandbox folder cannot be deleted.

Thus at this time, Guest10's suggestion to disable the Ad-Watch Live! component is the only possible resolution.

I've updated the following help pages with this information:

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?Know ... ts#adaware
http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?SBIE2208

Hopefully that will be of some help to people who encounter this problem.

I've also sent mail to Ad-Aware about it and I hope they can respond with a solution.
tzuk
tzuk
Site Admin

Postby Pilgrim » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:11 pm

tzuk,

Your efforts as ever are appreciated.
Pilgrim

Postby tzuk » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:08 pm

I got word from Lavasoft that their latest update fixes this issue. I can confirm it that I no longer see a problem in Ad-Aware dated [2009-03-10]. I'll be happy to hear about the experience of other people.
tzuk
tzuk
Site Admin

Postby Pilgrim » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:04 pm

tzuk,

Only jusy seen your last post.

Switched on Ad-Watch Live, opened different programs in 2 seperate sandboxes, both closed without incident.
As you say the problem appears to have been solved.

Regards,

Pilgrim.
Pilgrim

Return to Problem Reports