I was using Altiris SVS for quiet a while, but really got annoyed, that I was able to delete files in the base system with a sandboxed/virtualized application. So I looked for another program and found this wonderful piece of software!!
But I was thinking about some improvements:
- global settings: all sandbox-specific settings - especially all path-variables (ClosedFilePath, OpenFilePath, OpenPipePath,...) and block-variables (BlockDrivers,...) - should also be set in the global settings to make them apply to all sandboxes
- special folders: (I know that some of them are already included. As I mentioned I used Altiris SVS before and these shortcuts were a big help. I would like to use them even with not-sandboxed applications.)
%SYSTEMDRIVE%, %PROGRAMFILES%, %SANDBOX%, %WINDIR%, %FONTS%, %TEMP%
%APPDATA%, %CACHE%, %COOKIES%, %DESKTOP%, %FAVORITES%, %HISTORY%, %MYMUSIC%, %MYPICTURES%, %MYVIDEOS%, %PERSONAL%, %STARTMENU%
%COMMONAPPDATA%, %COMMONDESKTOP%, %COMMONDOCUMENTS%, %COMMONMUSIC%, %COMMONPICTURES%, %COMMONVIDEOS%, %COMMONSTARTMENU%
- drag & drop: possibility to allow drag & drop to sandboxed applications (something like dragdrop=true/false)
- command-line: option to retrieve the currently sandboxed processes
- sandboxie.ini: no limitation of 500 lines and 1000 charakters
- deleting files: when deleting a file in the base system, Sandboxie should add an entry in a file named deletedfiles.txt (in the directory where the reg hive is stored), instead of creating an empty file with 0 bytes - that would make it easier to see, which files are actually deleted and which are just empty. (As far as I understand, Sandboxie creates an empty file, when deleting a file in the base system with a sandboxed application - I do not understand how it is able to see the difference between a deleted file and an empty file.)
Congratulations to the developers for their effort. I hope that my suggestions will make Sandboxie even better!