Trust No Program

Synaptics touchpad won't scroll when using Sandboxie

Please post your problem description here

Synaptics touchpad won't scroll when using Sandboxie

Postby Josh » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:49 pm

Hi,

first of all: great job! I've only been using Sandboxie for a few days now but I really like it. Keep up the great work.

There's one problem that's keeping me from making a sandboxed version of Firefox my default browser though: I have a Synaptics touchpad on my notebook (latest official touchpad drivers, latest stable version of Sandboxie, latest stable Firefox). Using the Synaptics utility, I have it set up to do different things (like using the left button opens a link in a new tab in the background).

That all works fine, except for one thing: when I move my finger downwards or upwards at the right edge of the touchpad, it usually scrolls down or up respectively. This works fine in all application *except* when they're sandboxed. If an application is sandboxed, I can see the little icon (looks like a scrollbar) but it doesn't actually scroll. Since I use that feature *a lot*, it's kind of a big deal for me.

Oh well, maybe it's something that can be fixed. Thanks again.

Josh
Josh

Postby Unknown_User_961 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:02 pm

I can corroborate the symptoms and circumstances.
Unknown_User_961

Postby dlguild » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:09 am

For security reasons, Sandboxie by default blocks a lot of resources, some of which are undoubtedly needed by the Synaptics touchpad. Most major laptop manufacturers use Synaptics pads, so it is definitely worth the effort to track down which resources need to be freed up. The first thing to try is to change the following 3 lines in the Sandboxie configuration file to read this way:

BlockDrivers=n
BlockFakeInput=n
BlockWinHooks=n

To change these lines:
1. Right click the Sandboxie tray icon -> Open Main Window -> Configuration -> Edit Configuration
This should open up the configuration file in Notepad or your default text editor.
2. Make the changes per above
3. Save the file
4. Reload the configuration: Right click the Sandboxie tray icon -> Open Main Window -> Configuration -> Reload Configuration
5. Restart the browser if necessary and test

If this works, change each of these same 3 lines one at a time from 'n' to 'y' to see which resource is the culprit. If this doesn't work, there is another approach which is a little more time consuming.
Dan
dlguild

Postby wraithdu » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:39 am

This problem has been discussed, and no really good solution was ever reached. You can try to run the Synaptics process in the sandbox (SynTph...exe, something like that), but that did not work very well for me. In the end, I uninstalled the synaptics drivers. My scrolling still works, and now works inside the sandbox as well. I have an HP laptop. Some others did not have the same results (scrolling did not work at all anymore).

Best of luck!
wraithdu
Top Poster
Top Poster

Postby dlguild » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:51 am

wraithdu, when you dealt with this issue previously, do you remember if anyone ran a debug trace to isolate what was being blocked? I couldn't find any previous threads on this issue.
Dan
dlguild

Postby wraithdu » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:47 am

I ran a ipc+pipe+gui trace and got nothing useful. Tried opening all kinds of resources and window classes with no luck. And yeah, it seems the old threads are gone. tzuk did a little fall cleaning?
wraithdu
Top Poster
Top Poster

Postby tzuk » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:37 pm

I think it's this one:

http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1552

I too remember someone saying that uninstalling the touchpad drivers made the problem go away, with no loss of touchpad functionality. I could be wrong though.
tzuk
tzuk
Sandboxie Founder
Sandboxie Founder

Postby wraithdu » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:37 pm

Yep that was me. (seems search is working now, and yes, that was the thread I was trying to find :))
wraithdu
Top Poster
Top Poster

synaptics touchpad, firefox and sandboxie in vista business

Postby mrlumpy72 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:27 pm

Dont know if this is any good to you but it seems to work for me.

1) Firstly i close down my touchpad application in task manager (dont actually know if you need to do this but i did so as not to have 2 instances running at once)
2) go to touchpad application (ive put a shortcut on desktop) and right click. The press 'run program sandboxed'
3) open up you sandboxed browser and it should work (it does for me)
mrlumpy72

see above

Postby mrlumpy72 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:38 pm

Ok

Update to the last post.

The touchpad does work inside sandboxie when you do this but seems not to outside of it (i.e. in windows explorer)

Sorry
mrlumpy72

Postby SnDPhoenix » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:10 am

Try running the touchpad program sandboxed, while it is also running outside the sandbox, it should work fine.
SnDPhoenix
Top Poster
Top Poster

Postby GotLost » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:46 pm

On my ThinkPad, I ran c:\program files\synaptics\SynTpEnh.exe sandboxed (this is run by Windows on startup as well outside the sandbox) and touch pad scrolling now works. This also starts SynTpLpr.exe automatically.

Now, off to see if there is a way to get this program started automatically when the sandbox is launched... or is that not yet implemented (feature request by someone else http://sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3636&highlight=startup)
GotLost

Postby tzuk » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:55 pm

The new Resource Access Monitor displays a bit more information than the traces, so I would suggest that people who still have problems with mice and touchpads try this new tool and post the monitor data here.
tzuk
tzuk
Sandboxie Founder
Sandboxie Founder

Postby wraithdu » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:48 pm

@tzuk

Can you explain a little more how to use the new tool? Do we enable a trace first, then use the tool instead of DbgView?
wraithdu
Top Poster
Top Poster

Postby soccerfan » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:07 pm

wraithdu wrote:@tzuk
Can you explain a little more how to use the new tool? Do we enable a trace first, then use the tool instead of DbgView?

One of tzuk's responses is here (his penultimate post at 10.06pm, Aug 04):
http://sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=24906#24906
Perhaps a modified version of this could be made a sticky.
soccerfan
soccerfan

Next

Return to Problem Reports